PhD Position: Software Analysis Security & Privacy
The Ruhr-University Bochum (RUB) is one of Germany’s leading research universities, addressing the whole range of academic disciplines. A highly dynamic setting enables researchers and students to work across the traditional boundaries of academic subjects and faculties.
The research group Software Security (Prof. Kevin Borgolte) is looking for highly motivated doctoral students (scientific staff) in IT security, especially the analysis of software systems, to realize ambitious and challenging research projects. Naturally, the expectation is that the doctoral student (scientific staff) will work toward a doctorate in Computer Science by contributing to the body of knowledge through their research.
Core responsibilities are the development of new, efficient, and scalable analysis techniques, by combining theory and practice, implementing prototypes, and rigorously evaluating them. A particular focus is on the analysis of regular expressions in software, and the analysis of network protocols and network communication in real-world software systems.
The salary will be according to TV-L (full time), based on pay scale classification and personal qualification.
The doctoral student (scientific staff) is expected to contribute to the research group, for example, through:
- Analysis of the scientific state of the art
- Development of new program analysis techniques to analyze software systems
- Improving program analysis and reverse engineering methodology
- Prototype implementation and corresponding documentation
There is no teaching requirement if the position is fully funded by third-party funds at the time of recruitment.
No costs associated with the interview (travel expenses, accommodation costs, or loss of salary) will be reimbursed.
In your application, please include:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- Master’s certificate (or confirmation of completed requirements)
- Two (2) or more references (names and email address; reference letters are NOT required; for example, thesis supervisors, other researchers)
At Ruhr-University Bochum we support applications in areas they are underrepresented, including in Computer Science. We especially welcome applications by female candidates, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
You have an above average Master’s degree in Computer Science (Informatik) or IT security.
You can thoroughly and rigorously analyze and understand software and network systems and processes. You look forward to joining a flexible, energetic, and performance-oriented team, and you distinguish yourself in your ability to communicate and collaborate with international partners.
Ideally, you have established practical experience/knowledge in:
- Development and implementation of program analysis techniques
- Evaluating of analysis methods and security mechanisms/techniques
- Experience with efficient and scalable data analysis techniques
- Knowledge of relevant techniques in program analysis, such as taint analysis, data flow tracking, symbolic execution, or SMT solvers
- Programming experience (especially in C, C++, Assembler, Python, Java, and/or Rust)
Working languages at RUB are English and German. Fluent spoken and written English is a requirement. German is not a requirement. The university is offering language courses in German as a second language.
Experience with Git and LaTeX is desired. Prior contribution to open source projects will be assessed positively, as the research group is committed to making research results and prototypes publicly available as open science.
Employment: full time
Period: as soon as possible, 3-4 years
Compensation: classification based on TV-L 12/13