PostDoc Position: Network Applications Security & Privacy
The Ruhr-University Bochum (RUB) is one of Germany’s leading research universities, addressing the whole range of academic disciplines. A highly dynamic setting enables researchers and students to work across the traditional boundaries of academic subjects and faculties.
The research group Software Security (Prof. Kevin Borgolte) is looking for highly motivated post-doctoral research scientist (postdoc) in IT security, especially the analysis of network applications, to realize ambitious and challenging research projects. In addition to contributing to research, you are encouraged and will be supported in co-advising Bachelor and Master students, providing service to the academic community, and in applying for (independent) funding to build and strengthen your academic resume.
Core responsibilities are the development of new, efficient, and scalable analysis techniques, by combining theory and practice, implementing prototypes, and rigorously evaluating them. A particular focus is on the analysis of network applications, their underlying network protocols, and how the applications and protocols are being used in the real world.
The salary will be according to TV-L (full time), based on pay scale classification and personal qualification.
The postdoc is expected to contribute to the research group, for example, through:
- Analysis of the scientific state of the art
- Development of new techniques to analyze network applications and network protocols
- Improving network measurement methodology
- Prototype implementation and corresponding documentation
- Performing large-scale and Internet-wide measurements and corresponding data analysis
The teaching requirement is based on §3 Lehrverpflichtungsverordnung NRW.
No costs associated with the interview (travel expenses, accommodation costs, or loss of salary) will be reimbursed.
In your application, please include:
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae
- Doctoral certificate (or confirmation of completed requirements)
- Two (2) or more references (names and email address; reference letters are NOT required; for example, doctoral adviser, thesis supervisor, or senior co-authors)
At Ruhr-University Bochum we support applications in areas they are underrepresented, including in Computer Science. We especially welcome applications by female candidates, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
You have a doctoral degree in IT security. During your doctorate, you contributed to the scientific state of the art, as shown by prior publications in the relevant IT security & privacy conferences.
You can thoroughly and rigorously analyze and understand software and network systems and processes. You look forward to joining a flexible, energetic, and performance-oriented team, and you distinguish yourself in your ability to communicate and collaborate with international partners.
Ideally, you have established practical experience/knowledge in:
- Development and implementation of program analysis techniques
- Evaluating of analysis methods and security mechanisms/techniques
- Experience with efficient and scalable data analysis techniques
- Knowledge of relevant techniques in network measurements and protocol analysis
- Programming experience (especially in Python, Java, and/or Rust)
Working languages at RUB are English and German. Fluent spoken and written English is a requirement. German is not a requirement. The university is offering language courses in German as a second language.
Experience with Git and LaTeX is desired. Prior contribution to open source projects will be assessed positively, as the research group is committed to making research results and prototypes publicly available as open science.
Employment: full time
Period: as soon as possible, 1-2 years
Compensation: classification based on TV-L 13